I’ll expand this: My email client defaults to top-reply. I have not found a way
to fix that. My mobile client is top-reply only. Removing the cruft - I do that
when necessary but when it’s a main reply to the content, no. Footers are 4
lines long, not enough to make even the most stringent of ISP and mobile data
plans wince.

We don’t include images (the biggest of all data hogs) or html in our emails.