My pfsense laptop with a PATA CF card is disk bound these days.  The disk
is always busy above 60% and mostly in the 90's.  Futhermore the service
times are abysmal.  It takes more than a minute just to refresh the
dashboard.  Initially the system was very quick but then i later i
intruduced Captive Portal and then Radius (with accounting).  I think all
of these are writing constantly to the filesystem.

I do have plenty of RAM so i was thinking to place the captive portal and
other logs on a "ram disk".  Is this possible in pfsense?

BTW it would be very nice to have a tool like lsof to see what files a pid
has open and writing too.  But pfsense does not have lsof package.

Thanks