I haven't tested with this setting as it was not available in earlier
versiopns of pfSense but as a workaround you could setup AD-Access using a
Radius-Server. See
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/OpenVPN_with_RADIUS_via_Active_Directory
for further details. That worked fine for me using passwords that didn't
work using ldap.

Holger