> The VM is configured with VirtIO disks, emulated e1000 network cards.

I use kvm and have had no problems running any of the 2.1 releases. I'm
building a VM server right now that will run pfSense and one other guest OS.

I have used the virtio drivers for nics, storage, and memory ballooning, but
because of the steps you have to take to switch to virtio, I'm using e1000
and IDE emulation on this one to keep it simple.

What host OS are you using, and what hardware is it running on? (real cpu,
ram, and storage)

Is it possible to see the results of virsh dumpxml for the guest?