On Aug 22, 2014, at 11:38 AM, Paul Galati <paulgal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for your reply.  I have looked at that page already to verify my
> initial settings were correct, and they are.  It is the final tweak that I am
> trying to locate.  I just don’t understand why simply turning NAT-T on or off
> would completely eliminate the login prompt.

In my setup (OS X 10.9 with IPSec client using XAuth PSK) I don't have
to enter a login or password or shared secret because that's already in
the OS X IPSec VPN configuration in Network Preferences.  The only time
I am prompted to enter the password is after about an hour, presumably
when the IPSec lifetime has expired on the client side.

When I connect from the Mac, all I get is a popup saying "VPN
Connection" and buttons with "Disconnect" and "OK".

For me, enabling or disabling NAT-T is the difference between traffic
routing out of the pfSense box or not, i.e., the VPN working or not
working.

Cheers,

Paul.