That's partly consistent with our observations so far. The configurations of ALL the previously cited installs followed upgrade paths through 2.0.3. However we can confirm for at least two of the migrated configurations that the serial ports were working properly on v 2.1.3 when their configurations were first moved TO the Lanner FW5741D platform from 1. Soekris 5501, and 2. VMX-9 on ESXi.

So in our case, while all passed through 2.0.3, the 2.1.3->2.1.4 Auto-update was perfectly correlated with onset.

In our observation:
2.1.4->2.1.5 auto-update did not remedy the issue in any cases,
2.1.4->2.1.5 (manual) remedied the issue
2.1.5->2.1.5 (manual) remedied the issue

-K