In my particular case, the alix box was upgraded over the years from
2.0 (when i replaced my WRAP running 1.2), with pretty much every
release between 2.0 and 2.1.5.  Since it is my home office, I would
always upgrade that first to make sure everything worked before
upgrading the production boxes at the office and data center.

Like I said, a simple reboot solved it, so it literally could have
been any of a million things that just failed on that one boot.