> I've been trying to install 2.1.5 into a
> http://www.mini-itx.com/store/~FX5624

The specs look ok. I would think it supports most 'nix distros.

Unfortunately, that website doesn’t say if it supports booting from USB. Does
the manual say it can?

> I've tried several ways to write the .iso to disk

I like to be sure about what people are saying. You're not trying to copy the
iso file onto a cd or disk? You're using burning software, right?

Can you boot your FX5624 with other live cd's, like Ubuntu or freebsd, etc?

Or maybe try booting memtest86. That’s small and boots quickly, and it's always
good to test the ram.