> I'm trying to use a http://www.mini-itx.com/store/~FX5624 which I think is
> the same box as your first link, if you can install onto here easily and
> frequently then it must be me doing something wrong, aaagh

Certainly looks like the same unit. Are you trying to install onto a CF card
(those units have a CF slot) or are you trying to do a full install onto an SSD
or HDD?

Most of ours are done using the embedded install using a CF card, as follows:
 - download 32-bit embedded image *with* VGA console
 - use dd on a Linux or Mac system to write it to a suitable CF card
(instructions on pfSense wiki)
 - insert CF card and boot box
 - configure interfaces from command line in the usual manner

In the several dozen we’ve deployed, I don’t think any of them have been more
complicated than that. Of the two failures we’ve had in several years, both
have been down to a dodgy CF card, not the unit itself.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Chris
--