Chris L wrote on Wed, Mar 25 2015 at 2:43 am:

> Since nobody else has chimed in are you sure CARP setting changes are
> supposed to be synced?
>
> It makes sense that when a primary syncs to a new secondary, or a new VIP is
> created on the Master, defaults are chosen on the secondary to ensure it
> comes up as Backup.
>
> After that happens, I don’t think I want changes to CARP settings to be
> synced.

        I have "Synchronize Virtual IPs" checked which says "this system will
automatically sync the CARP Virtual IPs to the other HA host when changes are
made."  I assume that's the setting?  I could see an argument for not syncing,
and that had occurred to me, but the option is there.

> What are you doing messing around with base and skew anyway?

        In my other thread, diagnosing why failback only moved back the WAN
IPs, if the physical host had its network restarted underneath my router VM.
Using 1 instead of 0 I thought was a suggestion.  Per the docs it shouldn't
matter, the lowest is used.  I agree, not a normal situation to edit skew, but
if someone does ever change that I think it should not break the CARP
configuration on router2.  I'm a fan of trying to make things as idiot proof as
possible [note: not possible. -Ed.] such as not showing a field for Remote
System Username for syncing, if it will ignore that and use something else.

        Simply saving the CARP virtual IP on router1, without changing skew,
does not break that CARP IP on router2.

        To replicate should be pretty easy if someone has CARP set up...open
the CARP alias on router1, change skew from 0 to 1, save, and check the
Status/CARP page on router2 to see if it still says Backup or is blank. (to
reiterate the fix, open the CARP IP on router2, change nothing and click Save)

--

Steve Yates
ITS, Inc.