On Mon 24 Aug 2015 14:11:22 NZST +1200, Brady, Mike wrote:

> I think that the INIT states indicate that you are not in fact
> synced.

Yes, I took that for granted. But why? ntpdate to the same servers
connects fine. Default pfsense config - well I added one time server and
enabled ntpq.

It looks like ntpd can't talk to the servers, but why, when ntpdate
works fine? Both running on pfsense.

OK found it. Under access restrictions, the option

  "Disable all except ntpq and ntpdc queries (default: disabled)."

must NOT be ticked! The default is ticked. This seems to prevent ntpd
altogether from talking to the time servers.

That looks like a bug. Could you compare your config, please?

>  What does ntpq -n -c peers show?

Same. You can shorten "peers" all the way to "pe".

> I would also suggest that you have at least 3 servers configured to
> sync against.

Point taken, but it depends on how important it is (have another time
server), and it's not the issue here.

Thanks,

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.top.geek.nz/      Please do not CC list postings to me.