Just a few things off the top of my head that you've probably already
checked (no offense if some are very basic):

-Have you verified internal clients are getting the right DNS (if they are
getting it via DHCP)
-Have you verified the internal DNS server is receiving the client requests?
-Have you checked pfSense firewall logs for any blocking for the traffic in
question (and maybe enable logging of passes for troubleshooting)
-Have you done a packet capture on the LAN interface to see the internal
DNS server sending the requests through the pfSense LAN interface? And
possibly receiving responses back?
-Have you done a packet capture on the WAN interface to see the traffic
being sent out/received back?

Jeff