On 2016-02-25 08:29, Sean Pohl wrote:
I started over with a fresh install and was able to get the wireless working by putting it on a different subnet from the LAN. Then I made firewall rules that
allowed the two to communicate.  Thank you!

One follow-up question though. As I was setting the rules for the two subnets to communicate, I was wondering if things like mDNS/Apple Bonjour/zeroconf or link-local traffic would pass between the two subnets with Layer 3 firewall rules separating them? I think that mDNS uses UDP port 5353 but I thought it
also would send to an Ethernet MAC as well.

My generic concern is that have small IoT devices or older devices that only send to Ethernet MAC addresses and the Layer 3 firewall rules between the two
segments may break some things and not others.  Have you or anyone else
encountered this problem?

Just curious why a bridge interface has problems or should be avoided?

Many thanks.

Install the avahi/mDNS package and enable the wide-area stuff.

I have a similar setup for my house with WiFi on one subnet and Wired on a different one.

Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: l...@lerctr.org
US Mail: 7011 W Parmer Ln, Apt 1115, Austin, TX 78729-6961