On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Steve Yates <st...@teamits.com> wrote:
>         A question on where to set up a limiter...if it is set on a LAN rule
> and has in/out limiters set, will the limiter only apply to outbound traffic
> matching the rule (from __ to any)?  Or would that match, say, the response
> to an outbound HTTP request?  Up until now I've only had occasion to use a
> limiter on a LAN upload.
>
>         I did see the known issue that limiters don't currently work on
> NATted interfaces so don't have them set up on the WAN side.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Yates
> ITS, Inc.

Normal firewall rules are only ingress, they can check source and dest
from a packing coming in to the interface.

I limit both upload and download of clients.

Limiters:

UPLOAD:
Some Limit Set
Mask:  Source Address
Bits:  32 and 128

DOWNLOAD:
Some Limit Set
Mask:  Destination Address
Bits:  32 and 128

pfsense firewall rule:
Pass some source address
Advanced Settings:
In / Out pipe:
UPLOAD FIRST
DOWNLOAD SECOND

It it would take matched traffic from a firewall rule and put it in
the limiter.  I have not tried using egress rules but with the any
directive all traffic to and from the system gets limited.