According to the System/Advanced/Networking page, there is an option
to prefer IPv4. However, it says this: "if IPv6 is configured and a
hostname resolves IPv6 and IPv4 addresses, IPv6 will be used."

I do not have IPv6 configured -- all my interfaces are statically
configured. The only IPv6 I see is the automatic link-local address
assigned to each interface. Is that enough to convince pfSense that it
is "configured"?

The symptom I'm seeing is that one of the remote NTP servers I sync
with returns both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses, and NTP is preferring the
v6 address which does not work here.

If I check the box to enable the "prefer IPv4" it does indeed select
the IPv4 address. So something is misleading pfSense to thinking v6 is
enabled, at least for NTP.