[REBOL] REBOL and "hw" communication ...

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 9:15:26 +0100

> is it possible REBOL Technologies will introduce some kind of "hardware"
> (port) communication protocols? I mean - parallel, serial, usb for e.g.
>
> I know it is plaform specific issue
[...]
> And as merely every REBOL platform OS knows how to communicate with
> serial or parallel port, it could be merely multiplatform solution.

If the OS lets you use the serial or parallel port like a file, then you can do
something right now in a quasi-portable way.
Amiga OS has a special device named SER: (MS-DOS has COM1: and COM2: ?) and you can do

s: open/direct/binary %/ser
append s reduce [ "ATZ" (to-char 13) (to-char 10) ]

then 'pick s 1 char at a time, or better user 'read-io

There is a BIG problem however: if you ask more than the chars ready then you'll wait
forever (maybe 'wait [ s 0 ] will be the answer, but doesn't work right now with ports
open on files).

Ciao,
Daniele.

P.S. for Amiga REBOLs: thinking of SER: reminded me of SPEAK: (not so impressive as it
was 10 years ago, but REBOL could tell us when new mail arrives or a web page is
changed -- I know, it's platform specific)