[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [REBOL] REBOL and "hw" communication ...
>
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 9:15:26 +0100
>
> > is it possible REBOL Technologies will introduce some kind of "hardware"
> > (port) communication protocols? I mean - parallel, serial, usb for e.g.
> >
> > I know it is plaform specific issue
> [...]
> > And as merely every REBOL platform OS knows how to communicate with
> > serial or parallel port, it could be merely multiplatform solution.

I happen to agree that a generic serial and parallel access by Rebol
would be
very nice indeed.  Rebol could be very elegant for doing all sorts of
protocol work by making it parse/dialect based.

There is a work-around which would be to use Slip or Plip on your host
machine.

This means the device you are talking to on the other end of the cable
must be doing Slip or Plip as well,
and the IP address of the Slip or Plip network interface would be the
one you would use.

Slip and Plip are rather small (ppp is pretty big when it comes to
embedded devices, or it used to be)
but there aren't that many existing devices out there that talk Slip or
Plip unless you are doing them
yourself.

But Rebol can run as is on a Slip or Plip connection, that is what I am
mostly saying here.

Steve Shireman