On 12/29/1999 at 1:55 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
{{
Any suggestions for other candidate languages, Ted (or anybody)?
}}

In terms of a worker's language, and all things remaining equal, I'd
start with Javascript, since this will be a necessary complement to
serious Web work with REBOL for some time.

Though, for correctness, classic Pascal could be argued as a good
baseline.

A good part of it would be a language that is already understood well
enough to model this way without a lot of controversy

Of course, if the common ground is a serious goal, personally, I'd like
to see at least 3 very different languages to start. Again, to help
eliminate any bias.

Personally, I'd keep perl lower on the list, since you might just be
preaching to the choir there.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Also, in the orignal Essay, there was mention of using the
> model/diagram to compare REBOL and other languages on a common
ground.
> If that is still a goal, I would suggest that another language be
> brought into the model/diagram sooner than later, to be sure it is a
> common ground, and not slanted to the first in.

That certainly sounds reasonable.  I haven't thought much about that
step thus far for two reasons:

1)  I used to teach comparative programming languages, and feel that
    the model is still on fairly neutral ground.  (It's been a few
years, so I'll probably want to take some time to think up and verify
some good compare/contrast examples.)

2)  I want to make sure I have a sufficiently accurate model for REBOL
    before I tackle the crank-turning for item 1.  (And, to be frank,
learning something new is lots more fun than the wordsmithing part!)

Any suggestions for other candidate languages, Ted (or anybody)?
If the target audience is the contemporary working programmer (and
not the academic comparative-languages crowd), that might suggest
c, Java, and/or Perl.  However, that's just my first hunch.

-jn-