Actually, Javascript and REBOL might be a fine place to start. It will
probably be sometime before REBOL/Browse is both available and
practical, so until then, server-side REBOL and browser-side Javascript
are going to be necessary complements for serious Web development.
Javascript is derived from Java, which is modeled on C and C++, so this
will help keep you "honest" for other languages.

Since it's what you know, another idea might be to develop your own
help desk package, based on REBOL and Javascript. (Or help me with mine
;-)

-Ted.