I like being able to upgrade my rebol executable.

now I want my apps to upgrade themselves.

- do I extend 'upgrade to take a refinement?

- do I put something in the header, establish another convention
  and make up an upgrade-app.r look in the header for and do
    upgrades_at: http://public_site/releases.html

here is what "limits" me:

rule #1)  I want my app to be upgradeable by non-programmers.
  prompts that take english [not netspeak] are preferred
  over command line args but it is reasonable to expect
  somebody will want to say:
    "I am uncertain... upgrade everything in sight!"
  and call 'upgrade-app'.r with a wildcard or multiple files
  at the first prompt.

rule #2)  some of my apps are not interactive. Upgrading them
  has to be easy via the command line.

rule #3)  some customers (the kind that run powerplants and
  are by-nature somewhat skiddish) will not open themselves up
  to an app that goes out "over the net".  These folk are ok
  with a CDrom release containing multiple images for upgrade.
    Not all of the app is in rebol. There are some platform
  specific executables and datafiles.  However, the rebol
  version number and platform seem to be quite predictable.
  What would be a way of structuring the CDrom to make
  platform-specific overrides possible?

rule #4)  sometimes a password or customer-id may be needed to get to
  the newer version of the code.  It is ok to prompt for this but
  only if there is an 'unauthorized' error from the web server.
  We don't want to make it difficult to get to the loss-leaders
  and core-givaways.

Now I know all you free-thinkers sniffing these threads
are not as limited as I am.   Take this as a challenge:

    what is the contents of upgrade-app.r ?

Consider that, for examples, all the scripts
in the rebol.org library are candidates
for 'public_site' (maybe down a bit deeper in next rev).

Do not limit yourself to rebol.org though
since rapid adoption of rebol by
corporate types hinges on _you_ making it
easy for them to release better versions
of applications and scripts without hassle.

good luck.

{-----}
[EMAIL PROTECTED]