Okay folks, I think I just got a clue about how to open a serial (com) port in Rebol.  I need to open up a serial port for a web cam device I am messing around with.  It is programmable, so it will accept VISCA commands - if I can find a way to insert the data to the port.  Okay, so I don't know if this is the complete answer, but I have been fooling around with opening up com1 or lpt1.  I am here trying to understand the command strategy and after a few tries, I decided to try the direct approach.  I looked something like this

com: open/binary/direct %com1

When I hit <Enter>, I didn't get the standard error message - as if something had been opened for input.  I don't have anything on com1 with the computer I use at home so I try something a little more obvious.

com: open/binary/direct %lpt1

To open up %lpt1 for input.  There was no response again, but no error message!  So I tried to insert a text line to the input field and I got some response from my printer!  Now, it didn't print anything, but I obviously have struck something that is a definite hint!  It seems that Carl Sassenrath has made it too simple. Anyway, there it is.  I would like to see you all complete the equation for smooth communication via a com port.  Good Luck.

Eddie Newton