I wrote a paper on

                                  XML
                      (Extensible Markup Language)
for:

http://www.chipcenter.com/circuitcellar/february00/c0200r30.htm

Why would we here care about a thing such as XML?  The article covers
such things as XML-RPC which is a Remote Procedure Calling system, and
Distributed Objects.

Any one want to run a big job on lots of computers using Rebol
maybe? :-)

Alas I wrote this paper in early December before I started using Rebol,
would have been good to get it in the article.

What is XML-RPC?

XML-RPC is a Remote Procedure Calling protocol that works over the Internet.

XML-RPC Specification:  Simple cross-platform distributed computing,
based on the standards of the Internet.

It's a specification and a set of implementations that allow software
running on disparate operating systems, running in different
environments to make procedure calls over the Internet. It's remote
procedure calling using HTTP as the transport and XML as the encoding.
It's designed to be as simple as possible, while allowing complex data
structures to be transmitted, processed, and returned.

An XML-RPC message is an HTTP-POST request. The body of the request is
in XML. A procedure executes on the server and the value it returns is
also formatted in XML.

Ken MacLeod has more about XML and Distributed Objects on his site.

SAX 1.0: The Simple API for XML

SAX 1.0: a free API for event-based XML parsing.

SAX is a standard interface for event-based XML parsing.

What is an Event-Based Interface?

There are two major types of XML (or SGML) APIs:

tree-based APIs; and

event-based APIs.

A tree-based API compiles an XML document into an internal tree structure, then
allows an application to navigate that tree. The Document Object Model (DOM)
working group at the World-Wide Web consortium is developing a standard
tree-based API for XML and HTML documents.

An event-based API, on the other hand, reports parsing events (such as the
start and end of elements) directly to the application through callbacks, and
does not usually build an internal tree. The application implements handlers to
deal with the different events, much like handling events in a graphical user
interface.

If your XML document were 20 MB large (or even just 2 MB), it would be
very inefficient to construct and traverse an in-memory parse tree just
to locate this one piece of contextual information; an event-based
interface would allow you to find it in a single pass using very little
memory.

You can find more at the link above.

--
For information on any of the following check out my WEB site at:
                   http://www.biogate.com/bpaddock/