>        them in a JForth program in 1992.  The epoch date seems to be
>        that set by Joseph Scaliger in 1582, i.e., Jan 1 4713 BC, (that
>        would be Julian day number 1), but as this algorithm takes the

One thing to keep in mind is that a true Julian date based
on this style of calendar, is that the day beings a NOON,
not midnight.  Made sense to the astronomers that came up
with the idea.

Now we computer people just assume that the day starts at
midnight when we use the Julian Calendar.

It can make your day of the week off by one (actually a half)
of a day if your trying to look up events like eclipses
based on astronomical data.