> I need to read a BIG text file line by line but I
> don't know exactly how to do.
>
> As I understand the following will read the entire
> file to a list of lines and that is not what I want.
>
> lines: read/lines %textfile
>
> I want to read one line, process it before reading
> the next line and so on.

Hi Peter:

It's relatively easy to act on files larger than memory, one line at a time.
I believe BO at REBOL came up with the technique originally. I've adapted it
and use it for manipulating large log files on my internet servers.

Here it is, enjoy:

      hugefile: open/direct/read/lines %huge_file

              while [ ( line: pick hugefile 1 ) <> none ] [
                        ;;do stuff to each line;; ]

      close hugefile

--Ralph Roberts