[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 1. A Rebol script can be used to fetch data from a textfile and put the
> data
> into a HTML template, thus creating an unique web page? In this way one may
> render lots of documents of the same kind, but with unique data, such as a
> list of products where each product is linked to a script-generated
> information page?
>
> 2. A Rebol script can be used in the way above, but on the server side,
> reading data from a text file for input to the HTML template. In this way,
> Rebol may serve the same function as Visual Basic or Javascript within an
> Active Server Page?
>
> 3. Which one of the two above methods is preferred -- rendering unique web
> pages with a script or having the script read data "on the fly" thus
> providing dynamic web pages?

With your first method you mean 'static rendering' I suppose - this is a viable
method for high-traffic sites (but almost certainly not necessary). In general,
you're more flexible with method 2 - although I don't know if 'HTML-embedded
Rebol' is possible (well, it is certainly possible but I haven't come along a
standard way to deploy it).

> I would be really glad to get some ideas on this, and maybe even some code
> that I can play around with to learn from. Thanks!

You can play a bit with my Vanilla system (http://www.langreiter.com/vanilla) -
it's easy to understand, supports templating and editing over the web, extension
scripts and so on ... If you want to try it out without installing it on your
own server, have a look at http://iw2.infowerk.co.at/cgi-bin/vanilla.rBest
wishes,
Chris Langreiter