Scheme is a great language.  It inspired me more than 16 years ago, influenced my
early designs... and got me into denotational semantics.

But, Scheme was first invented in 1975... so now 25 years later, I suggest that there
is a good reason why it is not in widespread use today.

REBOL 1.0 was "Scheme".  So we've been there, done that.  For us, it was a disaster.
REBOL 2.0 (non Scheme based) is smaller and 30 times faster.  Yes there are some cool
things you can do in Scheme.  But they cost you too much.

Unfortunately, history has also proven the success of a language has nothing to do
with the merits of good language design.  Look at C++, BASIC, or even HTML as examples.

-Carl

PS: the scoping rules for REBOL are very simple.  Also, the issues around object
scoping have not been solved by any language that I know.  Not even Scheme.