Hi, what I have seen so far it's not that bad. ODBC is mainly a
translation layer, so quite thin. It might be a bigger problem, that
you can't use all available features.

> - we don't know /Command pricing yet, but sadly - I still
> think shell access and library calls at least belong to /Core, or at
> least should be free.

I agree here! Shell access is the essential piece to use Rebol in
replace for Perl etc. in normal system admin tasks etc.

> ODBC should cost some little money and native drivers
> (e.g. Oracle, DB2 components) could cost much higher. Let's see what
> pricing policy will RTcome with, but being it one way or another -
> your PHP "native" connection to MySQL will be always free ...

I would like to see a way to add our own DB support. Why should RT do
all the work, we can help them. There are a lot of people needing the
same stuff here, so pooling our efforts to get what we need should be
possible. RT should concentrate on the "core" stuff. I don't know
their business-model (hey, perhaps Carl is wealthy enough, and he sees
the RT team like a football team to have fun with ;-)) but I would pay
some $$ (note the number of signs ;-)) to use Rebol in a commercial
environment.

> If REBOL/Command is priced more than 50-100 in the tool
> level, It will be time to try to write socket connection protocols
for
> /Core (if MySQL, PostGresSQL etc. allow this) or simply stay with
PHP
> for e.g., as I can't imagine I tell my boss we should pay for
> something, just because I like it, if all I need is ASP, PHP level
> thingy ...

Well, I agree that this might become a problem. Perhaps RT can
enlighten us a bit about their business model. This information is
quite useful for us too, as I have to tell the people in the field,
how things will proceed, what the company does, that the product
development will be continued etc. This thing isn't only about
technology. Robert