[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Compiling the compiler into the runtime? Compilers can be small..
>
> Even if it has to be smart enough to compile REBOL?

IF Rebol would be properly modularized, e.g. much earlier discussion about one and only
/Core.exe, others as loadable components, or just ability to 'package appropriate
components into
one .exe, even compiler could be separate component, no?

> > Wheres the problem? yes, by default you have to lookup
> > each call in a table. for speed, to inline the primitives,
>
> Would that really be faster than the current interpreter? Just a
> bit, I think. Is that worth the effort?

Huh, just only a bit?

> > there is a need for hotspot-style compilers. or marking
> > never-changing code by hand ("compile func"). (like
>
> Yes, but that's something different. You can compile if you pose
> limitations, making REBOL more similar to compiled (or compilable)
> languages. But then, what's the point in using REBOL?
>
> I'd prefer a solution like:
>
> my-native: make native! [
>   ; compilable REBOL dialect here
> ]
>
> where you can speed up critical code. That would make REBOL the
> most powerful language --- you have speed, and you have a powerful
> high level language.

whatever in rebol-like style, whatever making it faster ... :-)

> > if bind is allways bind/copy this works. note we have early binding in rebol,
> > which gives very good hints what will be called (can be reduced to indirect
>addresses IMO).
> > Compiler has to insert calls beetween the addresses, yes.
>
> But then again you need the compiler in the runtime; I have dubts
> that such a "REBOL compiler" could be dramatically faster than the
> current interpreter. If you, instead, express the speed critical
> parts with an ad hoc designed compilable dialect, and then compile
> those, you get a dramatic speed improvement with just a little
> effort.

sounds interesting, is it achievable? What would such "dialect" look like, what
exactly should be
its purpose? Could you explain a little bit, please?

Thanks,
-pekr-