Joseph Bernhardt wrote:
I run an apache server and utilize the .htaccess file to run a php script on a 404 error. This php script grabs the contents of the current uri to display information. (example: www.joughslife.com/Rockport.html) My question is, will this have any effect as far as usability?

One question: why not use mod_rewrite instead? It's cleaner from a conceptual point of view, and won't send out an http status of 404. Using the error document functionality for this seems a bit of a perversion of its intended use...

> Also, the w3c validator was unable to
recognize the page as anything other than 404; will other spiders/bots be able to recognize content? Thank you, as always!

Not sure, but from a logical point of view, if a URL brings back a 404, the content should not really be indexed/associated with the URL...

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com