marvin hunkin wrote:
now just wondering with the relaxation of laws,  that will make it legal
for us to in our own private homes, able to tape tv shows, from video, and dvd, and able to convert music in any format, to listen to.

This is very much off-topic for this list, but which laws are you talking about and when were they relaxed?

if i did put them on a server, even though the tracks are 17 to 26 years old, why would i have to pay royalties to the copyright holders,

Because the duration of copyright in Australia is currently 70 years (I think). So the copyright of a track released in 1980 won't be released until 2050, at which time I believe it goes into the public domain. Of course, that's assuming the duration of copyright won't be retroactively increased at some point in the future, as it has been in the past.

1. what would happen, if i did pay copyright or royalties, then would i be able to say make my site into a business, and charge for downloads?

I expect you would have to come to some agreement with the copyright holders and very likely sign some form of contract.

2. how would i do that, in a legal way, to cover my self?

This is most definitely the wrong place to ask such a question since it has absolutely nothing to do with web standards. You should contact the companies directly and work out some arrangement with them.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/