I also think low contrast is bad for general users and not just
"disabled" or "low vision" users... good contrast can be viewed as a
usability feature :)

Or not ;) I personally dislike high contrast as it strains my eyes more than an overall combination with not that sharp/aggressive/tense difference. On the other hand I can live with switching *to* lo contrast variation or modify it in my UA (see below).

In summary, the idea is provide the most important accessibility functions
(like stylesheet-switcher) at the top of the document.

Why? (I'm playing devil's advocate now for a while...) Is it really the most important feature in the design to accomplish the most important goals of most users? Thus it should be one of the most important functions/tools/goals of the web site? I don't think so.

I think the ball is on the side of browser vendors. This should be UI/UA thing, not a job for the website itself.

--
Jan Brasna :: www.alphanumeric.cz | www.janbrasna.com | www.wdnews.net