[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Quoting Bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Looks to me like he's blaming ie for his design problems.
On www.newscloud.com there is 226 errors returned by the validator.
Scrollbars at 800px in all browsers, image distortion and odd text sizes...

might some of those things not be because of IE(6/7) workarounds?

Maarten

No. If you disable CSS then Firefox doesn't even render the plain HTML correctly because it's so malformed. I got 209 errors from the HTML validator. The CSS validator can't even validate the page because the markup is broken.

As for the page: well, for starters, it is served with an XHTML Doctype, but the CSS uses upper-case names for some elements (e.g. H5.tags A), so that's wrong. I'm not sure what he's trying to achieve with markup like:

Overall, I'd describe the page as having shoddy markup, and the CSS as having been produced by somebody with a limited understanding of the standards. If he expects it to work, it's his responsibility to do it right first. Granted, nobody's claiming that IE7's CSS 2.1 support is perfect, but the fact that he encountered such problems with his layout should have given him a clue that his code was broken. I think he just gave way to a knee-jerk reaction of "OMFG! IE sux!!!" and then made a fool of himself by drawing the attention of the world to his lack of craftsmanship.

Note that in the blog post you originally cited, he is quoting an article slagging off IE 7's CSS implementation in Beta 1. That version had no CSS bug fixes whatsoever - they came in Beta 2.

Cheers,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons