On Tuesday 15 August 2006 10:21, Christian Heilmann wrote:

> I know what is wrong with popups - they are unreliable, mean a new
> instance of the browser rather than taking resources for only one,
> they are insecure (until browsers always show the location bar - which
> MSIE will do in the 7th version you can simulate a popup appearing to
> be from the originating page while it isn't - and ask people for their
> credit card details) and they simply give me a 1999 feel.
>
> Generally: What is useful to you is not useful to everybody. You can
> easily offer these things when and after you tested if the user's
> browser can support it - or even better if the user wants it (a
> checkbox with "open links in new windows" for example). But assuming
> users can and want to deal with several windows is just arrogance.

There are very good reasons to open new windows, not just when using frames,
online banking being one of them. Opening a new window, secured with SSL
encryption and breaking this connection by closing the window when "logging
off". Usually all browser buttons, address bars, menus are turned off on
these windows so there is no way a user can change to "normal" surfing of the
Internet thus preventing any history security issues.

By removing "target=_blank" you are forcing the use of JavaScript to open the
window. This usually isn't an issue because JavaScripts are used for other
features, but it should not be necessary just to generate secure sessions.

I'm sure there are other secure online transactions that need this feature and
are stopped from using strict doctypes (XHTML or HTML) because of this
feature is removed.

Opening new windows for secure sessions makes me feel very 21st Century - the
developers are understanding the security risks presented by the wide spread
adoption of online life.

--
Regards,

Steve