FWIW, my experience is that you won't get
very far using media types for applying
screen versus handheld styles  anyway.
Internet Explorer Mobile, for one,

My Samsung A900's ugly default browser uses handheld stylesheets
pretty much flawlessly, seems to just love the xhtml mime type... it
just plain respects standards.  Considering the quality of IE's -main-
browser, I can only imagine how horrible some side-project based off
of it is.  Luckilly, as far as I know, it doesn't have extremely high
market share in that segment.  I have an aversion to using the link
element for some reason.  Actually I think the head and body elements
should disappear, and content (and only content) should be directly
inside the html element.  Hey, I can dream!  haha.  I think if there's
no CSS filter or other relatively easy fix other than not using PIs,
I'll just remove one rule from my handheld stylesheet which is causing
overlapping text in safari, and let the other bugs (all purely
asthetic, colors mostly) stay buggy.

If you can, post a link to the page, I'd like to test it in Safari on
Panther to see if that version has issues too.

http://www.kennygraham.net/wsg_cssd/safaribug/