There was a time when lots of websites utilised frames, to provide the
advantage of a static menu that is always available on the screen, no matter
what area of the page the user looks at.

I am sure we covered the topic enough to agree that frames are not the way
to go, as they carry accessibility issues with them and can cause problems
for search engines. So we all moved away from frames and are now accustomed
to a page layout that contains the menu somewhere at the top (or top left).

However, with css we now have the ability to imitate frames in an accessible
and search-engine friendly way for browsers that support it. So the question
comes back to usability (and maybe aesthetics): wouldn't it be more
user-friendly to always make the primary navigation available to users, no
matter what part of the page they are looking at?

Let's not worry about the problem of aesthetics right now, but imagine a
site that uses css to create this frame-design: our menu sits on the left
hand side, our content on the right hand side. We have got a scroll bar that
only moves the content areas (achieved through overflow). The menu is
available at all times. Which means the users not only are aware of all of
their options at any given point in time, but they can also be visually
reminded of their current position in the page (e.g. through breadcrumbs or
highlighted current menu item).

A browser that does not support css would simply display our sample page the
way we currently do it: menu static at the top, the scrollbar moves the
entire page. No accessibility or search-engine issues.

I'd be curious to know what people think of that? Did our passion for Web
Standards make us overlook the advantages of the frame-style layout? Or are
there usability/accessibility issues I am overlooking here?

Andreas Boehmer
User Experience Consultant

Addictive Media
Phone: (03) 9386 8907
Mobile: 0411 097 038
http://www.addictivemedia.com.au
Consulting | Accessibility | Usability | Development