However, with css we now have the ability to imitate frames in an accessible
and search-engine friendly way for browsers that support it. So the question
comes back to usability (and maybe aesthetics): wouldn't it be more
user-friendly to always make the primary navigation available to users, no
matter what part of the page they are looking at?

The key point here is "imitate" frames. As others pointed out, you
have to go to some lengths to make an overflow page work cross-browser
and avoid double scrollbars. The other issue is that in order to use a
mousewheel you need to focus the overflow area first (or on some
browsers you wouldn't be able at all).

Showing a menu with position:fixed (and hack around with it for MSIE)
is an option, and I have seen many implementations on blogs doing
that. As with any usability idea and concern, there is one simple
solution: Test it with your visitors or a group of totally
disconnected testers. I found that a lot of times we solve problems
with technology that aren't there at all.

What I found increasingly with my readers though is that navigation
repeated on the bottom of the screen works very well, as people do
scan (read) through the whole document, scroll down and go from there.

As others pointed out, too, the use of frames was most of the time not
really a usability aspect (although it was handy to only have the
content document refresh on a 28.8 modem) but ease of maintenance of
the site and small document size.

Usability is an interesting thing. On one project with a massive menu
(which had to comply with a set taxonomy) we found that shifting the
current section to the second position of the menu after a home link
worked amazingly well although most usability gurus will flog you for
messing with the menu order:
http://www.onlinetools.org/tools/easynav/cnohome/index.php

--
Chris Heilmann