On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:15:47 +1000, Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:
> [...]
> However, with css we now have the ability to imitate frames in an
> accessible and search-engine friendly way for browsers that support
> it. So the question comes back to usability (and maybe aesthetics):
> wouldn't it be more user-friendly to always make the primary
> navigation available to users, no matter what part of the page they
> are looking at?

Interesting concept Andreas. Your idea has already been realized
to a degree in Opera.

Opera has a "navigation bar" that users can turn on or off. It sits
across the top of a page, and is populated by LINK elements in the
HEAD section of a document.

The navigation is limited to predefined keywords, like Home, Index,
Search, Glossary, Help, Previous ...

You may also be interested in PPK's revamped site. See for example
the "Blogs" page, and activate the "show site navigation" link on
the left. Is this what you had in mind? -

<http://www.quirksmode.org/blogs.shtml>

Cordially,
David