That's not taking things to an extreme - it's a totally different argument
altogether. A screen reader is a user agent, not a plug-in. A person uses a
screen reader because they want or have to, not because of the technologies
used to build the websites they view. That's totally different from forcing
all users to use a plug-in to view a site.

With regard to building screen reader technology into a browser, it may
benefit a small number of people but it's never going to negate the need for a
fully featured screen reader that works with a wide range of applications.
People with severe visual impairment need a screen reader that works from
boot-up, not just when the browser is open.

Steve Green
Director
Test Partners Ltd / First Accessibility
www.testpartners.co.uk