I totally agree with your point about accessible content, which is why we have
contributed towards Joe Clark's micropatronage project to raise money for
research into the production of standards, training and certification schemes
for captioning, audio description, subtitling, and dubbing.

http://joeclark.org/micro/

We spend a lot of time advising companies (corporates actually are a lot more
responsive than small companies, believe it or not) on how to create
accessible content. Web standards are an important part of this, but are not
enough on their own. We also run free screen reader demonstrations for
developers to help them understand the issues relating to those users.

www.accessibility.co.uk/free_jaws_demo.htm

I made my previous comments because I think it's important to differentiate
between the measures that designers should be expected to take (the
technologies they use, alternate content etc), the capabilities we should
expect from user agents and the measures users should take such as using
appropriate user agents and learning to make best use of them. The onus is on
all these groups to play their part, not just the developers.

Steve