Kenny Graham napisaƂ(a):
I cant seem to find anything

Div is generic block.. not generic block of text.

Agreed, I worded it badly. It can contain non-text, but doesn't have to.

In most cases it groups block elements as for grouping inline there are
other dedicated elements as span which is inline itself (so it should be
used between inline content) and p block element (so it should be used
between block elements) for grouping inline text content.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#edef-DIV - see first
example over there

I'd argue that the example on that page is much more of a paragraph
than a date is. XHTML2 is apparently going to fix paragraphs so that
they can contain lists, as that example tries to do by using an
unclosed <p>.
This example is up to SGML not XML so paragraph element doesn't need to be closed. If it's not closed it doesn't mean that author want to include all of the following elements within.
In this example paragraph ends before table starts.

Paragraph is just separated text content..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragraph
and mind that html is not sophisticated word processor..were paragraph
may have more stricter meaning.

More precisely, it says it's "a self-contained unit of a discourse",
and the same website defines discourse as "In semantics, discourses
are linguistic units composed of several sentences". I'm not sure I
completely agree (some paragraphs are only one sentence long, for
instance), but surely a paragraph element has more semantic meaning
than to separate bits of text from one another, as used to be done
with unclosed <p>s and <br>s.
Semantics for XHTML p element is same as for HTML p element and it was always bad practice to use br's to separate blocks of text in articles (as it is automatically and more naturally achieved when using p elements)

Also this pages sounds logically to me (while they're not html specs):
http://big.faceless.org/products/report/docs/tags/tags/div.html
http://big.faceless.org/products/report/docs/tags/tags/p.html

I disagree with most of that article. It says headers and blockquotes
are "subtypes" of paragraph elements (where do they get this from?),
that all text must be inside paragraphs (what about lists?), and that
if you don't enclose text, it's enclosed in "an anonymous p tag,
inserted by the XML parser itself." Parsers do enclose some text in
anonymous block elements, but they're not paragraph elements.
By 'subtypes' I understand that for e.g. if we wouldn't have header element then p element would be most accurate for header text and this is logical to me. This way I put date into p element.. as there's no dedicated element for date and it is text content.

Anyway I wonder how it really should be treated.. (I'm not 100% positive that my approach is right) or maybe both way are semantically valid to treat p as I do and more strictly as you do.. However due to lack of clear statement on it in w3c specs I doubt that there is a clear answer for that.

--
Mariusz Nowak

Skype: mariuszn3
AIM: mariuszn3