Maybe this is an incorrect philosophy when approaching (X)HTML, but I always look at things in a more meaningful way when approaching "semantics".

If you were to ask an english major and a w3c specs author to define a paragraph, you'd get to very different answers, wouldn't you? I feel that as a web developer, its my job to marry those two worlds. I take boring (X)HTML documents, add a visual flavor to them in the hopes that both the machine and human can interact with the information painlessly.

Examples? Consider the news entry. News entries are viewed in two ways - list format (summaries) and detail format. Each format would require different markup in my opinion.

The list view could be coded as:

<dl>
<dt>My Headline</dt>
<dd>Date</dd>
<dd>Article Summary</dd>
<dd>Link</dd>
</dl>

I would opt to use an individual <dl> for each entry. Many here would argue this approach for one reason or another. However, a machine can interpret this inforamtion quite well, since it understands the "relationships" that the <dl> implies.
For the detail view I would:

<h*>My Headline</h*>

Again, in this format seems to outline the relationship of the informations best in this scenario.

For me, when I'm coding pages I always make the unstyled boring document first. If that document looks the way it should naked, I know that I'm headed in the right direction.

The specs are what they are, they're not perfect, nor is the markup they describe. You want to subscribe to their recommended best practices, but the specs need to be looked at subjectively. They were written by people who are striving to create the most generic descriptions they can (while accurately techniquely describing the intentions) of something they didn't create in the first place.

It's like the bible, if you're a christian you want to respect the official rules, but you don't want to over analyze the book word for word, as again, it was written by people who may not exactly understand the original intended purpose exactly....

My two cents,

Joe Taylor
http://sitesbyjoe.com

Barney Carroll wrote:

I somehow got the impression p stood for phrase... (?!)

Mariusz Nowak wrote:

Anyway I wonder how it really should be treated.. (I'm not 100% positive that my approach is right) or maybe both way are semantically valid to treat p as I do and more strictly as you do.. However due to lack of clear statement on it in w3c specs I doubt that there is a clear answer for that.

Regards,
Barney Carroll

Joseph R. B. Taylor
*Sites by Joe, LLC*
/Custom Web Design & Development/
http://sitesbyjoe.com
(609) 335-3076

begin:vcard
fn:Joseph R. B. Taylor
n:Taylor;Joseph
org:Sites by Joe, LLC
adr:;;408 Route 47 South;Cape May Court House;NJ;08210;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:609-335-3076
tel;cell:609-335-3076
x-mozilla-html:FALSE