Paul Novitski wrote:
But seriously, how many years have you been telling yourself the star hack is unsafe? What did that lack of safety ever mean?

Same as it means now -- the likelihood that someday your code will fail because it depends on the coincidence of two unrelated bugs in an evolving software product.

I believe that even the most clueless of futurologists can believe that IE6 isn't going to get any radical updates in our lifetimes :)

Lack of support for multiple classes can hardly be called a 'bug' at this point. It's more like a 'feature'.

Only if you accept Microsoft's bugs as standards in preference to the W3C spec.

It's not just a question of what we and the w3 believe. The only reason we tackle these things in the first place is because Microsoft is incredibly influential. We have to consider the fact that to this day (and the concept has been floating a pretty long time) they still don't want to implement multiple class selectors.

When I say this, I'm not suggesting that multiple class rules are a bad thing at all. I'm asserting what I believe to be a fairly certain judgment that Microsoft don't like the notion. If they do, they've had plenty of time to implement it and haven't. It's an incredibly basic translation process, after all.

I would like to see IE support multiple classes, but if it resolutely doesn't, we can use this feature inventively.

Given their recent work on IE7, I don't think it's too naive to ascribe to them a desire to fix their software to match the spec:

I am by no means suggesting that IE7 is less advanced than IE6, but it is still plenty buggy in both familiar and fresh ways.

A significant update such as this creates all sorts of new problems and new ways to solve them. We have to evolve with them. All of us.

Hackers have developed sites which fail to some degree under IE7, and they have had to investigate, look over their code, test and amend. The same has happened to everyone else. There seems to be this notion that hackers run the risk of having to do some extra work when a new browser comes out. Who doesn't?

Regards,
Barney