David Dorward wrote:
I'm yet to run into a situation where it would be useful to have
content presented only to screen reader users.

From an experienced HTML coder's perspective such a thing may seem illogical but there are plenty of instances where a graphic designer may wish to use information other than linear text to convey meaning - and if CSS truly did cater to our needs, there would be no reason to deny them such opportunities.

Colour, icons, text already available to sighted users in the form of images (until full CSS3 support and the rest of the civilised world catching up to WebKit's text controls, this will always be a temptation for typographers)...

Of course it is irrelevant to discuss pure visual art and post-modernist poetry in terms of standards, but even in terms of legitimate informative documents - take propaganda pamphlets for example. In many ways the world of print has much more control than that of the internet. In some ways this is inevitable, but in others it is inexcusable. In concept, print designers are much more restricted than web designers.

Regards,
Barney