Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
James Crooke wrote:

Personally I think that all buttons should have pointers, the same as hyperlinks.

"Personally" being the key here, again. Overriding browser default behaviour and UI cues is not a sustainable model, just because *you* think you know better, in most cases.

Who disagrees?

Browser manufacturers, quite obviously.

Woah!

Was it somebody on this list who suggested that recommending Firefox on your personal homepage was akin to Nazism?

All CSS is over-riding browser behaviour. Sometimes this runs contrary to what is best for the user, but that's entirely what a good designer's judgment is about - and what I thought this list was for.

Making all text blue and underlined would be bad judgment in over-riding browser pre-sets. Making the mouse cursor turn into a pointer over buttons is very intuitive and I don't think it'll ruin anybody's browser experience.

Too much trust in browser developers is never a good thing. At the very least they should be able to look to the design community for usability experience. If we're just nodding, everything spirals into inanity.

Regards,
Barney