Quoth Mihael Zadravec at 01/12/07 07:21...
OH BOY!!!! This is realy making me crazy! All they by now!
It happens in IE 6, IE 7 and Opera 9.01... In firefox it looks like it renders it properly..

Still OK in all browsers when done by hand?

I don't know what programming tools you have in Windows, but I would be inclined to write both the hand-coded and PHP generated code to a pair of files and then compare them, using something like the Unix diff utility.

Also check the MIME types that the two versions are being presented as. I know that Firefox will render things differently depending on the MIME type with which XHTML content is served - normally margins around the page changing.

When creating pages dynamically, I believe it safest to control everything. PHP has a tendency to set its own default headers, which can confuse the issue. I would suggest, at a minimum, you use PHP's header() to control Content-type and cache control.

Having done all my early work in Perl, where what you write is what you get, I had some initial problems with PHP, where it tried to be too "helpful". Taking back full control of the headers can fix this.

If you need any code samples, contact me off-list; I am in the process of writing a CMS (Content Management System) toolkit in PHP, some of which may help you.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
IT Consultancy & Web Application Development
Business: http://www.kbc.net.au/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/smiffy