The first question sounds like an issue specific to the browser or the
plugin, and the third I have no information on.

For the second question, I discovered, via admittedly limited testing, that
applying a border to an anchor tag--versus text-decoration--seems to provide
some sort of "mandatory" padding (that's probably not the best term for it),
at least in Firefox on Linux. Declaring a separate class for anchors holding
images, wherein the border and background are eliminated, seemed to do the
trick (but I had to declare background as none, rather than
background-color).

Dan Dorman