Samuel Richardson wrote:
What is considered an acceptable total page size for the web these days? Clearly the smaller the better but I’ve put together a fairly graphic heavy travel website with a homepage size of about 300k. With GZIP switched on in the server I imagine that this will be reduced fairly substantially (we have some huge stylesheets that will compress well).

Three things to remember:

1) There are still a large number of people accessing the Internet via modems - not everyone has a broadband connection. 2) There is an increasing number of people accessing the Internet via wireless devices which, like modems, can be incredibly slow. 3) Only serve gzip'd content if the requesting user agent says that it can handle it, through the accept headers. (And for how long are we going to use that ancient compression algorithm, when we have bzip2?)

If this is a travel Web site for travellers on the road, and if you cannot avoid being "graphic heavy", you may wish to consider offering an alternative, fast, version for mobile users and those accessing the Internet through public terminals in out-of-the-way places, with slow connections. I would say that the front page of the site should be as light (minimum download sizes) as possible, so that you are catering for all users; content elsewhere on the site can be media-rich for users with high-speed connections, who can choose to view this rather than forcing "heavy" content on all users.

Should you have, or have access to, a mobile phone with a Web browser (I mean "real" Web, rather than WAP), this will give you first-hand experience of what it is like, not only to have a slow connection, but a small screen.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
IT Consultancy & Web Application Development
Business: http://www.kbc.net.au/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/smiffy