Don't take it personally Andrea, I never suggested that you were an idiot, just that you were incorrect on a point, and compounded that mistake by stating that I generalised when you presume to speak for many others. Perhaps when you have worked there you cannot see the wood for the trees.

Keeping hereticpress.com validated and accessible is not easy at all, there is a lot of password protected content not on the public sitemap.

Tim

On 24/01/2007, at 1:49 PM, Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: listdad@webstandardsgroup.org
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim
Sent: Wednesday, 24 January 2007 1:19 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] AIMIA finalists

No Andreas

http://www.hereticpress.com/Dogstar/Publishing/AustWeb.html

Australian gov websites are not tested for accessibility before they
are launched.

I am sure there are lots of people on this list that will disagree with you
on that point, as many of us have been employed at some stage to test
government websites for accessibility and usability. You might be
generalising a bit there.

Of course there are still government websites out there that have not been tested and that should be improved. But those are mostly old websites. As far as I know accessibility compliance is a requirement for every new govt
website project that is out for tender.

They are not even changed years later when someone points out the
errors.
They stay are they were launched full of the same errors everyday.
Cenbtrelink's website has had the same errors for three years that I
know of.

Why are you making excuses for shoddy work and pretending that
reviewers caught them on an off day?
Everyday when I change a page I check the validation and
accessibility,
why can't .gov do the same

Because the people that modify the content on a govt websites are not
website developers. They have a life outside the Internet, don't know how HTML works and probably don't care to know how it works. For a good reason:
it's not their job and you can't make it their job.

Of course there are people employed by the government whose job it is to
make sure the sites are accessible. But there are such huge amounts of
changes happening on govt websites every day that you cannot possibly expect
them to test their sites every day for accessibility.

You make excuses for those breaching the 1992 Discrimination
Disability
Act Andreas
and that could potentially  cause you a lot  of trouble

What dream are you in that believes they are mostly OK.
They are flawed and stay flawed everyday. Get real Andreas.

I would appreciate it if you would not talk to me like to an idiot. I do not make excuses and even if I did it would not cause me any trouble. I am not
in a dream, I fully understand the amount of work that is involved in
running government sites. I appreciate your concern for the accessibility of government sites and I agree with you on the point that inaccessible sites should be made accessible as soon as possible, but maintaining those sites
is not as easy as running hereticpress.com.

The Editor
Heretic Press
http://www.hereticpress.com
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]