Hello!

Here's an issue that's been bugging me for a while and I'd really love some
clarification.

There's been a bit of discussion at my work about where we use an image as a
link that we must also provide a text link beneath the image as an
alternative. The text alternative is usually mirroring what is included in
the graphically designed element. So for sighted people it's a bit odd and
sometimes confusing reading both. We never use images for main navigation,
but occasionally like to add a graphically styled element for something
we're promoting on our home page.

I believe the justification is broadly for accessibility reasons, though
specifically in which situation is this helping? My understanding is that:

  - screen readers have no problems reading alt attributes (title
  attributes in an <a> are a different story though - I've heard mixed reviews
  - if someone could clarify?)
  - a text only browser will usually read both title and alt attributes
  (please correct me if I'm wrong on this!)
  - a screen magnifier will enlarge the image as well as the text
  - in the case of a user enlarging the text through their browser
  settings, the image won't be enlarged and the text alternative will - the
  only real scenario that I can see where this technique may possibly be of
  use.

So is this really best practice?

Cheers,

Cara.