Thanks for replying so quickly,

Re: Ben - Im not really all that concerned about getting it absolutely 100% correct across all older IE versions but would be good to know for future (just in case). Re: Andrew - It was my understanding that older versions of IE had problems with the 'margin' attribute (as you say) but that's why it should be accompanied by the 'text-align: center' attribute?

Andrew Krespanis wrote:
It's been a while since I've had to include support for IE5 (and how
great that feels), but I'm pretty sure your problem is the use of
margin:0 auto; for centering -- if I remember correctly, IE < 6
doesn't understand it.

You can do:

position:relative;
width: 550px;